ABCs and Rice

Empowering the poor, through education and community support,
to break the cycle of poverty.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Dehydrated foods?

Shoeless

Okay, I have a question or two here - mostly for Tammy and Matt but anyone that knows can jump in - and I don't care if the questions sound dumb - humor me.

Will Khmer folks eat dehyrated fruits, vegetables and flowers.  I appreciate that the opportunity might have never presented itself to most, of course.

Is that kind of stuff available in the super markets and/or markets in Siem Reap? 

Do Khmer sun dry any fruits or vegetables?  I know there is lots of dried fish around.

Thanks in advance, I have a burning desire to know this.

August 14, 2011 at 10:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt

Shoeless at August 14, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Okay, I have a question or two here - mostly for Tammy and Matt but anyone that knows can jump in - and I don't care if the questions sound dumb - humor me.

Will Khmer folks eat dehyrated fruits, vegetables and flowers.  I appreciate that the opportunity might have never presented itself to most, of course.

Is that kind of stuff available in the super markets and/or markets in Siem Reap? 

Do Khmer sun dry any fruits or vegetables?  I know there is lots of dried fish around.

Thanks in advance, I have a burning desire to know this.

The Khmers dehydrate a lot of food, a particular favourite is banana, also chillis tomatoes and a lot of fish. They usually dry them on the ground on leaves, woven baskets and rugs or on their roof if they have reasonable access.

Oils are also extracted for sauces and other pastes.

They dehydrate them for longevity, snacks, flavour enhancers and to grind for curry powders and pastes.

Many do this as a living, some for their own home. You can find a plethora of examples at all local markets

August 16, 2011 at 4:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shoeless

Thanks Matt, couldn't remember seeing much of it.  Combination of things got me thinking about it - the stint on the breakfast club got me thinking about nutrition and the obvious value to the kids in the program - vitamins and minerals highly retained in dehydration.  Overripe fruit makes great fruit leather fairly easily - wonder what Lucky Mall does with theirs?  Always thinking about micro-enterprise as well.

So, can you buy electronic food dehydrators in Cambodia?  The larger domestic models or smaller commercial models?

August 16, 2011 at 8:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jack10
This content has been removed due to abuse.
June 7, 2013 at 4:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.